I am very pleased with a sample build I have of an MLTL
(Mass Loaded Transmission Line) as given by the designer
who goes by the handle of GM.

I get some cone breakup when listening to an over the air
FM signal. If I change from stereo to mono the noise goes
away. What is the answer to this?

The details are: FE127e in the MLTL w/no stuffing or internal
damping at all.

Re: cone breakup cures [message #20909 is a reply to message #20898] Wed, 11 May 2005 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
robertG is currently offline  robertG
Chancellor
Why do you think it's cone breakup? Sounds more like a tuner problem... Do you have similar prob. with other source (CD, tape)?

Re: cone breakup cures [message #20911 is a reply to message #20909] Fri, 13 May 2005 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Erm, I don't think so.

So you're saying ot could be the source?

Never had the problem on tv. Or cd that I recall. So that
would explain why flipping to mono cured the problem?

What would cause that at a broadcast source?

Re: cone breakup cures [message #20917 is a reply to message #20911] Mon, 16 May 2005 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Do all FM stations exhibit this distortion? I was wondering if you're hearing slight multipath distortion. Does changing the position of your antenna help this problem?.....Colin

Re: cone breakup cures [message #20918 is a reply to message #20917] Mon, 16 May 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
It's a mystery. My antenna is a straight wire, shielded and indoors.
So antenna tuning is not an option. :-/

Re: cone breakup cures [message #20919 is a reply to message #20918] Mon, 16 May 2005 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Does this happen on all stations? What tuner are you using?.....Colin

Re: cone breakup cures [message #20920 is a reply to message #20918] Mon, 16 May 2005 09:14 Go to previous message
GM is currently offline  GM
Viscount
Greets!

Apparently you can tune a straight wire antenna by adding resistance. Playing around one day I found that terminating a piece of coax I'm using as a TV antenna with a 75 ohm load and then adding R to suit helped quite a bit. I'm sure there's formulas to calc the required resistance for each frequency or BW, but I don't know them. FWIW, 5m ohms works for most of my local TV stations, though I have to fine tune it by moving the coax around since horizontal/vertical orientation affects it. With the other stations, just attaching the 75 ohm termination to a good ground is sufficient.

Attaching the shield at the open end to a good ground helps too, or at least it does with my TV. I couldn't tell any difference when I had it attached at the TV's input, but haven't delved into why it would make any difference since the antenna is only ~6.6ft long. Mine is a huge old metal drafting table/desk 'L' unit, but you can just run a 10 ga solid copper wire from an outdoor grounding rod or in-door cold water pipe.

After seeing how superior an OTA HD TV broadcast is compared to what the local satellite or cable service offers, I think it's time I learned about antenna design...........

HTH,

GM

Previous Topic: Help identify old speakers
Next Topic: Dumb question of the day - what's the best....
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 09:54:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio