Home » Audio » Speaker » Klipsch RS-7 clone
Klipsch RS-7 clone [message #19360] Tue, 25 September 2007 02:16 Go to next message
Kim Schultz is currently offline  Kim Schultz
Viscount
Hi.

I want to make some high efficiency dipole surround speakers for my HT.

The front and rear speakers for multi channel music are all Pi7 cornerhorns, and the center speaker is a Pi4 with added midhorn.

But I would like to try a 7.1 setup with dipole speakers for movies.

To keep up with the dynamic and high efficiency of the Pi´s, I think I need some horn tweeters, and that´s why I thought of a Klipsch RS-7 clone.

I will use an Eminence Beta 8A for the bass/mid and need a horn with about 90x60 coverage for the highs.

The RCF H100 horn looks nice and fits the bill, but what driver should I use, or should I rather go with a complete horn tweeter like the Beyma CP09 ?

I would like to cross over at 2-2,5khz and have looked at the new Eminence ASD1001 driver, does anybody know how that sounds ?

If anybody has any other suggestions please speak up.

Re: Klipsch RS-7 clone [message #19361 is a reply to message #19360] Tue, 25 September 2007 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If what you're talking about is a sealed or vented cabinet for the midwoofer with a pair of flanking tweeters, then you could probably use the Beta 8 just fine. A pair of ASD1001 tweeters mounted similarly to the Klipch RS-7 could be setup to work nicely.

I wouldn't configure the tweeters as a dipole though, because to do that, they would need to be wired out of phase. The idea is to reduce side radiation by cancellation. A dipole radiation pattern forms two lobes, in front and in back. If the horns in an RS-7 were configured as dipoles, you would have no treble out in front of the speaker, only out to the sides in narrow lobes directly on-axis in front of each tweeter.

I'd wire the tweeters in phase, and attenuate them to match the midwoofer.

Re: Klipsch RS-7 clone [message #19362 is a reply to message #19361] Thu, 27 September 2007 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kim Schultz is currently offline  Kim Schultz
Viscount
Hi Wayne, thx for the reply.

I think I will change the design a bit though.

After looking at the Klipsch RS-62, I think it makes more sense to have a complete set of drivers on each side.

I will use two Monacor SP-6/150PA mouted in a 14-16liter bass reflex triangle shaped cabinet, that should give me a F3 of about 75hz.
For the compression drivers I think I´ll go with the new BMS 4524, it can be used down to 1900hz and is still very cheap.
The horns are not yet completely decided, but something nearly square with a 90x60 pattern is fine.

After thinking it over again, the dipole arrangement makes NO sense at all when using horn. I´ll just wire them as you suggested in a bipole arrangenment.

Re: Klipsch RS-7 clone [message #19363 is a reply to message #19362] Thu, 27 September 2007 09:36 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sounds interesting. Keep us posted as you progress!

Previous Topic: Connecting speakers via cat6 cables to a computer
Next Topic: New Project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:44:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout