Home » Audio » Speaker » Isses about venting back chamber?
Isses about venting back chamber? [message #16516] Sat, 22 May 2004 20:17 Go to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Just wondering why more people don't vent the rear chambers on their subwoofer basshorns - seems like an acceptable way to get more bass extension and lower excursion than with sealed back/chamber? Is there a problem or drawback with venting it? I'm considering doing it myself, any comments on this idea are very appreciated.

Adrian

Re: Isses about venting back chamber? [message #16522 is a reply to message #16516] Sun, 23 May 2004 07:37 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
My thinking of the reason it isn't usually done is that horns are generally used over the bandwidth of the horn, and not as direct radiators below the horn's cutoff. There are some exceptions though.

The problems are that the horn tends to get peaky down low, and that output below cutoff will be reduced, forming a shelved response. But if the horn is very oversized or used in eighth space, the response down low is less peaky so that can be a solution. As for the shelved response, you gotta deal with that using some form of EQ.

One can always use a subwoofer and crossover to the horn above cutoff. That's the traditional way. But another solution is to run the driver below cutoff as a direct radiator, using either as a sealed or vented system.

Previous Topic: Awesome Single Fullrange Drivers From Japan.
Next Topic: Medallion II speaker cabinets
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:26:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout