Home » Audio » Speaker » LABsub Bass Horn Project
LABsub Bass Horn Project [message #16358] Sun, 11 April 2004 19:22 Go to next message
hulkss is currently offline  hulkss
Chancellor
I've made some progress finally. Should be done 100% in a month or so. I'm trying to think of a good name for it. Any suggestions?

Brad

Re: LABsub Bass Horn Project [message #16359 is a reply to message #16358] Sun, 11 April 2004 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That's a good lookin' horn. I've had trouble finding a name for the drivers too. Started with MAG12 and then Eminence wanted to make sure it wasn't confused with their Magnum 12. Danley suggested LAB12 ST and that would be great, but Eminence was afraid it would be confused with their LAB12. So I just about decided to call it the woofer formally known as Prince.

But I think I'll call 'em B12 subwoofers instead.

I've got a name for you. How 'bout T-Rexx? That sounds cool. Somebody already has Leviathan, but I liked that name too.

Re: LABsub Bass Horn Project [message #16360 is a reply to message #16358] Mon, 12 April 2004 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Cool! Is that Tom Danleys Labhorn, or your own design?

Is the two round holes for the drivers? It looks like you've made two basshorns yes?

Re: LABsub Bass Horn Project [message #16365 is a reply to message #16360] Mon, 12 April 2004 19:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
its his own design but its nearly the same,just has more Vrc and higher compression ratio,same physical dimensions i think

Re: LABsub Bass Horn Project [message #16373 is a reply to message #16365] Tue, 13 April 2004 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Mike,
Afaik, it's the same lab's that Tom D. designed but he has it in an arrangement that the subs are shoot towards the middle, rather than in a corner loading scheme. From his other renderings he's going to put 3 TD-1's on top for a LCR configuration for HT. It should kick some ass without putting cracks in the dry wall. :)

Bill W.

Re: LABsub Bass Horn Project [message #16380 is a reply to message #16373] Tue, 13 April 2004 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
As I recall, Brad has told me that compared to a LABhorn, his bass horn has a different driver configuration and mounting, higher compression ratio, smaller front chamber volume and a longer flare path. He expects greater bandwidth from his horn, extended at both LF and HF cutoff points. So from what I understand, it's pretty much a different beast.

Re: LABsub Bass Horn Project [message #16381 is a reply to message #16380] Tue, 13 April 2004 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom Danley is currently offline  Tom Danley
Chancellor

Hi Wayne

I believe this is the fruition of a project on the lab sub forum. Here is a recent post on the sub forum.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/community/read.php?board=3&id=153898

In which case it is a pair of Labsub / BT-7 shaped horns with a flare extension.
This should be capable of being quite scary when finished.

I don't know if you have built a proper horn with the LAB 12 yet but they are quite powerful, more so than one might expect even.

I have some measurements from Eminence on the shorted turn (flux stabilized in marketing speak) driver.
I will go through them tonight and let you know how they look.
I should have the real thing in hand shortly.
Got to run,

Tom

http://www.prosoundweb.com/community/read.php?board=3&id=153898

Re: LABsub Bass Horn Project [message #16384 is a reply to message #16381] Tue, 13 April 2004 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That's right. Brad Litz's basshorn is the subject of this thread. Brad posts as hulkss here.

Re: LABsub Bass Horn Project [message #16385 is a reply to message #16380] Wed, 14 April 2004 15:54 Go to previous message
hulkss is currently offline  hulkss
Chancellor
I have modified the LABsub design to perform as Wayne describes. It is still very much an implemention of Tom Danley's concept and very close to the original. In some ways it is closer to the design Tom published than the original LABsub (rear chamber volume for example). When I first saw the LAB12 driver my inpression was "this cone looks indestructable", so a higher compression ratio closer to the BT-7 should be OK (higher HF cutoff). Then I added a mouth extension so 2 of them would work OK in 1/4 space (lower LF cutoff was achieved).

Previous Topic: Double-Blind test proves conclusively Fostex 103E is a horrible liddle squawker!
Next Topic: First-order tweeter crossovers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:28:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout