Home » Audio » Speaker » Klipschorns anyone?
Klipschorns anyone? [message #15814] Wed, 10 December 2003 14:39 Go to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
If i had to just keep ONE set of speakers, given what i have heard so far in the 1.5 years i have been into good sound, i would stay with a pair of older klipschorns, good cable, and a low powered amplifier with awesome resolution.

Thoughts anyone?:-)
-akhilesh

Re: Klipschorns anyone? [message #15815 is a reply to message #15814] Wed, 10 December 2003 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seeker is currently offline  Seeker
Baron
Personally, I would keep the Klipschorns. Have you listened to the lowther TP1 London? http://www.lowtherloudspeakers.com/tp1.html

Re: Klipschorns anyone? [message #15816 is a reply to message #15815] Wed, 10 December 2003 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Haven;t heard them. Do you know of anyone who has plans available? At some point in my life i would be very interested in building a horn loaded speaker based on a lowther driver, and the TP1 may be the way to go.
IMHO, lowther drivers are so individually idosyncratic that i would probbaly buy the drivers first, measure them and then design the horn dimensions for them.
however, the TP1s may just blow my mind. I used to think multi driver systems would induce coloration till i heard my klipschorns...seriously, with 3 horns i don;t have any problems at all. They sound just fine to me.
Wish i could hear the Tp1s! Anyone near oklahoma have a pair?
-akhilesh

Yep - [message #15818 is a reply to message #15814] Wed, 10 December 2003 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HenryW is currently offline  HenryW
Baron
I had a pair bought new in 1975 that have resided with my brother for about 22 years (this house doesn't work with them) and agree with the keeper comment. I audition quite a bit (and have run several boxes through here)and I still find good three ways more pleasing and three way horns the most pleasing.

Re: Klipschorns anyone? [message #15819 is a reply to message #15814] Wed, 10 December 2003 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I haven't had the pleasure of Klipschorns yet, but I do own a pair of Heresy 1's, and if the K-horns sound like that only better, I just wish I could afford a pair. The Heresy's are the best sounding speakers I've yet owned.

Dave

Re: Klipschorns anyone? [message #15821 is a reply to message #15819] Wed, 10 December 2003 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Have you ever heard Cornwalls? They sound great too.

Personally, I always liked the looks of the LaScalas and the Belles. They lack some bass, but they do wonderfully from 60Hz up.

But if you've never heard Klipschorns, you really should make an effort to do so. They are a great sounding speaker, especially when you consider that they were designed during WWII. When I look at a Klipschorn, I visualize the era. B-17's were thundering across the skies and people were listening to world events on RCA Victor five-tube table radios. This is the time when Klipschorns were first built, and knowing that is what really makes them special to me.

Re: Klipschorns anyone? [message #15822 is a reply to message #15821] Wed, 10 December 2003 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi Wayne,
I plan on hearing some of the bigger Klipsch speakers, including the K-horn, later this week at a dealer in Lansing. I'm afraid I may lust for them after that, and I know I can't afford them now. I think it's worth the risk of that to satisfy my curiosity, though.
I use subs with my Heresy's, so no lack of bass, and I am pretty happy with the sound.

Dave

Re: Klipschorns anyone? [message #15823 is a reply to message #15822] Thu, 11 December 2003 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jim denton is currently offline  jim denton
Master
Hey Dave! Small planet! You responded to an e-mail on another forum and sent me to Pi speakers !!! And, smaller planet yet---Wayne and Pi are right here in my own backyard! (Tulsa) and 10 days later I'm roaming around here about Hersey's and you pop in ---that it's your speaker of choice--used to have Maggies and thes are so different--tell me a little about how you run them and have your room set up --Do you get them up off the floor much---at first I was not impressed (read blown away!) as almost no sound stage--but, last night I was playing some Dave Brubeck and was sitting on the floor infront of the speakers and could hear the conga playing 6-8 ft behind the speakers!--Getting used to what they do and getting my ears to listen too! But--I have a pair of Omega super 3's coming sooon too---may start a DYI project with a pair of Pi Thermonic 3's---really into the idea of the best tube amp sytem (2 spkers 1 amp 1 source ) for $2000---Jim

Re: Klipschorns anyone? [message #15824 is a reply to message #15822] Thu, 11 December 2003 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jim denton is currently offline  jim denton
Master
Dave, you mentioned on your web site you modified your Hersey's---how so?

Re: Klipschorns anyone? [message #15825 is a reply to message #15822] Thu, 11 December 2003 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Share with us how you feel, especially your opinion on how they compare to other speakers you have heard. I have never heard a new pair....mine are from 1978.
thanx!
-akhilesh

Previous Topic: anyone try matching a 40"ribbon tweeter and a 15" woofer
Next Topic: large or small?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 22:26:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers