Home » Audio » Speaker » DIY Computer Speaker Suggestions Wanted
DIY Computer Speaker Suggestions Wanted [message #14959] Tue, 10 May 2005 05:06 Go to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
I'm feeling lazy and not ready to tackle some of the larger speaker projects I have in mind, so after I complete a couple of non-audio things I think my next speaker project will be something small -- a pair of computer speakers. In all honesty, I don't care all that much about computer sound, but these stupid little plastic things sitting on my desk are an insult to my diy-ness.

For a design, I've been looking at the "Hi-Vi B3S single driver system" here: http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker18.html , but I'm looking for other suggestions. Anybody got any? The main design parameters are small, simple and cheap.

Re: DIY Computer Speaker Suggestions Wanted [message #14960 is a reply to message #14959] Tue, 10 May 2005 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
John's HiVi project is highly recommended. Me, I went with the Tangband W3-871 a month ago, partly because I didn't know about the B3S at the time. The ELF's are very simple 0.1 ft^3 ported. Sounds good "naked" and even better with a notch filter of R=6, C=6, I=0.5

I think both the HiVi and TB projects work out to be the same cost. The HiVi drivers are cheaper, but requires more filter components.

Gar.

Re: DIY Computer Speaker Suggestions Wanted [message #14963 is a reply to message #14960] Tue, 10 May 2005 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Check out Norman Tracy's little oneZ too. I saw them at GPAF in the Audio Crafters Guild room, and thought about how they would be nice little computer speakers. They're tiny.

Thanks [message #14970 is a reply to message #14959] Fri, 13 May 2005 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
I'm probably going to go with zaphaudio project, just because I feel like doing something from scratch.

Ironically, I had bookmarked the Tang Band project years ago and went there to take another look at it -- and found it replaced with the Hi-Vi project.

Re: DIY Computer Speaker Suggestions Wanted [message #14971 is a reply to message #14959] Sun, 15 May 2005 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
There are some posts on the Tangband design by Zaph down in
Single Driver forum.

See especially posts on The Brick... not the smallest, but should
make music from an audio stream.

For small projects, the "Onken" has always appealed to me
for it's elegance:

Re: DIY Computer Speaker Suggestions Wanted [message #14976 is a reply to message #14963] Wed, 18 May 2005 14:00 Go to previous message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Boy, I wish I could write like that!

Lots of flourish. Reminds me of the only Seinfeld episode
I ever watched in which they were sending up catalog descriptions
of things.

Previous Topic: the next Florida DIY Gathering inquiry
Next Topic: Large mid-high horns with an exponential flare
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 03:45:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects