Home » Audio » Speaker » Difference between studio monitors and home speakers?
Difference between studio monitors and home speakers? [message #14481] Mon, 05 January 2004 20:16 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Why does there seem to be no overlap at all between professional studio monitors, used by sound engineers for recording and mixing, and "audiophile" type speakers for home use. It seems to me that if the recordings are buy are recorded and mixed to sound their best with studio monitors, it seems natural that the same type of speakers are used for their playback.

I was flipping through a recording magazine this weekend and recognized very few of the speaker brands presented. NHT, Tannoy, Fostex were the only ones that I've heard of before. Why do manufacturers seem to only specialize in studio or home, but not both?

gar.

Re: Difference between studio monitors and home speakers? [message #14482 is a reply to message #14481] Mon, 05 January 2004 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I have always felt that studio monitors and high-fidelity professional speakers were far superior to those made for home use. The prices are usually higher too, and not for "frills" but for actual component quality.

There are certainly inexpensive prosound speakers, and those made for guitars and what-not. But there are also cheap home speakers, and this is really not relevant. When discussing the best quality products out there, in my opinion, the best speakers are those intended for high-fidelity professional use.

Re: Difference between studio monitors and home speakers? [message #14483 is a reply to message #14482] Tue, 06 January 2004 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Wayne, I would have to argue that with your point that pro speakers are usually higher in price. When I was flipping through the product review issue of the recording magazine, many of the monitors listed were coming in between $2K to $5K per pair. A little expensive for my budget, but very reasonable compared to some of the "audiophile" home speakers that are out there.

Anyone out there using pro studio monitors for home use? Any recommendations?

gar.

Re: Difference between studio monitors and home speakers? [message #14484 is a reply to message #14483] Tue, 06 January 2004 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Gar!

Certainly, there are some very expensive home speakers and there are some cheap professional speakers. My point was that, in my opinion, the extra cost of a good studio monitor is often justified by affording better components. In many cases, they are significantly better components. And it is also my opinion that some commercial speakers in the same price range are overpriced by comparison.

Maybe its a judgement call, but I find more value in the better high-efficiency prosound drivers than most of the commercial stuff for the home, even those marketed as boutique products made for audiophiles.

Wayne

Two different worlds [message #14488 is a reply to message #14483] Tue, 13 January 2004 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master
Prosound equipment is made and sold for performance, and tends towards form-follows-function. High end home equipment is sold to an entirely different market, one where the actual sound may not be the most important feature. Appearance, esoteric parts, name recognition, personality and appearance of the salon, all play a big part in sales to the home market.

Pro stuff has to go out and work for a living.

I know I'm not exactly answering your question, sorry. I think the better monitors try for flat response, and many are used near-field, which to me sounds kind of dead, though I do like the JBL/Urei units.

Going out and listening to different speakers is fun and tends to help focus on what's important.

Good luck!

John

Re: Difference between studio monitors and home speakers? [message #14491 is a reply to message #14481] Mon, 19 January 2004 02:50 Go to previous message
ez-v is currently offline  ez-v
Esquire
As I understand it, some pro-monitors make great home sound systems versus traditional consumer audiophile speakers and some don't. Yamaha NS10s for example, are studio monitors that are ubiquitous in recording studios, but not because they are good but because they approximate the "average" system that a typical consumer would listen to the end-result of the mix on.

Studio monitors are designed to be extremely neutral and accurate in a near-field recording studio environment (1-4 ft.). In an acoustically untreated home environment where a typical listening distance is more like 8-12 ft., the sonic characteristics of these pro monitors may prove even less accurate than the typical consumer speaker because that is not what they were designed for.

Nonetheless, some of the studio monitors that I have heard that would work wonderfully for stereo and home theater application would include Mackie, NHT, and Dynaudio Acoustics. Interesting enough, Dynaudio's professional speakers, save for the black vinyl finish and sans grills, are about 50% less than the price of the comparable model in their consumer line and, as I understand it, is virtually identical. Now that's a bargain if I've ever seen one!

VIctor

Previous Topic: Rationale for single driver speakers
Next Topic: Pictures...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:25:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers