Home » Audio » Source » The Doctor Is In
The Doctor Is In [message #13618] Fri, 04 January 2008 18:19 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The Disc Doctor, that is.

I've been using Audioquest carbon fiber knock-offs, actually the same thing without the label,for wet and dry cleaning. Never felt like they were doing anything on a wet album.

Recently got a Mobile Fidelity felt-pad type brush and liked it better for dry cleaning. More recently (yesterday) received a pair of the Disc Doctor felt pad brushes, one to be used with RRL Super Deep Cleaner and the other with Super Vinyl Wash.

Oh how they scrub!

You ever look at a record turning on the platter with a strong light? After you just finished brushing it? Yikes! Look at all that dust, lint and shmutz! After the two-step cleaning and vacuuming,there's a lot less. Maybe when I get a $99 Mapleshade electric brush it'll all go away. For now, wet scrubbing with RRL and Disc Doctor brushes, then vacuuming, will do. Noticeably quieter and 'better' sounding.

What? You say you don't have $600 for an RCM? How about $24 and no excuses....

Re: The Doctor Is In [message #13619 is a reply to message #13618] Sat, 05 January 2008 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Where did you get that cleaner, Bill? I've been using a Discwasher for years - decades - and it works pretty well but I usually use it dry. I'd like to try out the cleaner you're talking about.

Re: The Doctor Is In [message #13620 is a reply to message #13619] Sat, 05 January 2008 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The Disc Doctor brushes are from Elusive Disc, I think they also have RRL that Music Direct calls Mobile Fidelity. Then there's L'Art du Son, Bugtussell, Walker (I know an industry guy who's a good friend of Lloyds and calls him "Lunatic Walker") Prelude, etc.

I've been using strips of 'paint pad refill' on either side of the 1/8" slot I cut in the vacuum crevice tool. Seems soft enough but the DD brushes came with a set of refill pads. I'm going to use them instead.

Glue'm on the crevice tool with Carpenters or Plumbers Goop, heavy bodied contact adhesive so good it'll glue your side view mirror back on the car in Winter. Ask me how I know!

Then all's ya need is a broken turntable to support the record whilst cleaning or better yet a working direct drive that'll turn the record for ya.

Take a look at the Loricraft site for their cleaning tutorial. Best I've seen; all the info is backed up by my experience. No way I'll ever afford one. The main quibble they have with cheaper RCMs with cleaning wands like the VPI is the uneven suction on warped records. My handheld tool appears to negate that.

You will hear a difference and not just less noise but a resulting improvement in fidelity from, I suppose, the higher S/N.

Re: The Doctor Is In [message #13621 is a reply to message #13620] Sat, 05 January 2008 12:45 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Back when I was running Technics direct-drive turntables I would spin the record with my finger to clean it and have no fear. Can't do that with the belt-drive tables though.

Previous Topic: pc audio output level?
Next Topic: total newbie pls help w/ setting up Pro-Ject Debut III Phono SB???
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:19:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio