Home » Audio » Source » Vinyl still being sold?
Vinyl still being sold? [message #13048] Sat, 12 August 2006 11:47 Go to next message
telegraph.hill is currently offline  telegraph.hill
Viscount
Is there much stuff still being sold on vinyl, outside of the dj-ing scene?

Re: Vinyl still being sold? [message #13049 is a reply to message #13048] Sat, 12 August 2006 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
What kind of music do you like? I have the current Music Direct catalog with over 500 entries for new vynil. The real benefit lies in used vinyl from local stores. I just picked up yesterday a mint copy of Frank Zappa's " Burnt Weeny Sandwich." And A brand new re-master from the UK of Big Brother and The Holding Company, " Cheap Thrills." That album sounds so good I realised what they are supposed to sound like and how really great Janis sounded on record.
Total price? 15$ Less than a CD.
In New vinyl I bought Wilco's first album. Great americana roots/alternative rock music. 19$
In Jazz Eric Dolphy; "Out There." 8$
There's a sample of vinyl offerings.

45 sales way up [message #13050 is a reply to message #13048] Sun, 13 August 2006 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
According to "Home Entertainment" magazine sales of vinyl 45s are up 6 fold in 5 years.

Re: Vinyl still being sold? [message #13051 is a reply to message #13048] Sun, 13 August 2006 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Oh; I forgot to mention GEMM; thats a site with over a million pieces of vinyl for sale. GEMM.COM. Good stuff.

Re: Vinyl still being sold? [message #13052 is a reply to message #13049] Sun, 13 August 2006 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Sounds like you got some good bargains there.

But I find that the trouble with vinyl is its tendency to deteriorate easily. It quickly gets scratched. I would have thought that most second hand vinyl would not be in terrific condition.

What music do I like? Kaiser Chiefs, Franz Ferdinand, U2, eighties music, old rock 'n roll such as Chuck Berry, the Rolling Stones, ska, etc.

Re: 45 sales way up [message #13053 is a reply to message #13050] Sun, 13 August 2006 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
That's impressive. Why are people still buying vinyl when it deteriorates so easily?

Is it just that digital sound cannot really match analogue?

Re: Vinyl still being sold? [message #13054 is a reply to message #13051] Sun, 13 August 2006 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Thanks, manualblock - I'll take a look.

So do you listen mostly to vinyl then?

Re: Vinyl still being sold? [message #13055 is a reply to message #13054] Mon, 14 August 2006 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I go through phases. A lot of the jazz I listen to is either unavailable on vinyl or crazy expensive so that music I listen on CD; and of course the jazz is usually well recorded so CD sounds pretty good. Rock on the other hand is much better on vynil; especially the older stuff from my era. So for rock/classical and folk I usually listen to the turntable and for jazz mostly CD. I have a lot of jazz on vinyl but when I get into the mood I tend to stick with the CD so I don't have to change too often. How about yourself; what do you like?

Re: Vinyl still being sold? [message #13060 is a reply to message #13055] Mon, 14 August 2006 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
What do I like? Well - Franz Ferdinand, Kaiser Chiefs, Goldfrapp, U2, ABC, Roxy Music, The Specials, Madness, The Beat, The Sex Pistols, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry. To name but a few!

Re: Vinyl still being sold? [message #13061 is a reply to message #13060] Tue, 15 August 2006 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I love the Specials and Roxy Music; but that goes back a little also; in time I mean.
List three or four good recordings every once in a while and why you like them. I try to do the same. It really helps to see what others listen too and you apparently have a good range of eclectic taste.

Previous Topic: Needle Suppliers
Next Topic: Little help with an Old Technics (Belt Reattach)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 17 20:50:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio