Home » Audio » Source » Teres turntable questions
Teres turntable questions [message #12306] Wed, 06 July 2005 18:34 Go to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I recently was looking at various motor/controller setups and came upon the teres stuff. I may try their motor and controller in my modified AR, with the bonus being, if I should try to go teres, the motor would already be on hand. Anybody out there have anyfeed back on teres and comparably priced tables? Great thing about teres is that one can buy the thing piece at the time, and they have a very liberal tradein update policy.

Thanks in advance,
Russellc

Re: Teres turntable questions [message #12307 is a reply to message #12306] Wed, 06 July 2005 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

No feedback, just a comment. I went into the Teres room at a show and they had really nice tables. Ten points for craftsmanship.

Re: Teres turntable questions [message #12310 is a reply to message #12307] Thu, 07 July 2005 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Russell; how much do they get for the motor and controller?

Re: Teres turntable questions [message #12311 is a reply to message #12310] Thu, 07 July 2005 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
They had two diffrent ones, the basic one, which is the one most all the tables except the top tier use, and a "signature" model. the basic was a little over 500, the signature was over a grand. Just click components on the site that wayne gave the link to. Looks like nice stuff, but the big weighted platter was like 1300! (for the platter alone.) while manufacturing has its costs, it is just a big chunk of precision machined plastic with holes to fill with lead shot. similarly, the bases aren't cheap either. zYou can get 2 or 3 grand into a fancy hardwood base alone. the basic acrylic ( or DIY) will have to do for me.

Russellc

Re: Teres turntable questions [message #12314 is a reply to message #12311] Thu, 07 July 2005 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
There has to be a way to cast a platter so that it is balanced. They do it with many other things. Maybe make a mold out of an existing platter then cast a new one?

Re: Teres turntable questions [message #12316 is a reply to message #12314] Thu, 07 July 2005 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I don't know how they do it, but it is acrylic. Is acrylic molded or machined? I certainly don't know, but was under the impression that one started with a piece of the stuff, and then machined it into a platter, base, armboard, or whatever. I have seen acrylic platters of regular thickness go for 50 to 125 bucks. The teres platters may be more work than I'm figuring and therefore be worth every penny,but it seems like a passable thick platter could be made for less than a grand. Again, I really don't know and perhaps acylic stock in the required quality and thickness is much more expensive than what I am thinking it is. The motor certainly seems in line with other stuff out there, the bearing is in the 300 dollar range, pricey but not out of control and it looks like a real quality piece. Their clamp, derin and stainless, very well made and 95 bucks, not cheap but the competition is 150 to 350, so again reasonable. The platters and bases are the WAY expensive parts. Maybe a DIY for the group build forum project. Any machinists out there? I need to hear one of these things, as I want any new vinyl rig to be better than what I have now, and I prefer the Big bodied sound that some non suspended turntables seem to lack. The teres is of course non suspended, but may great sounding tables these days are. I have heard nothing but good about these tables, and while not cheap,are said to perform on par with ultra expensive tables. ( Mind you I consider these tables by Teres to be ultra expensive, but I mean the approaching 10K tables)

Regards,
Russellc

Re: Teres turntable questions [message #12317 is a reply to message #12316] Thu, 07 July 2005 20:05 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Where there's a will there's a way. I would suggest that aligning the center hole/equalizing the platter weight and balancing would be the main issues. Tere's is good stuff but they make some profit from those tables. Eliminate the profit and thats found money.

Previous Topic: Old turntable/new reciever/no volume
Next Topic: Red trumpet and classic records
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 19:08:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout