Home » Audio » Source » Storing your record collection
Storing your record collection [message #83438] Wed, 31 August 2016 11:51 Go to next message
bcharlton is currently offline  bcharlton
Viscount
I always consider vinyl to be very delicate and hence the need for correct storage cannot be overemphasized. None of us definitely wants to see scratches on any of our music collection. So I came across this site with steps on how to store your vinyl and I would like to hear your thoughts. Thank you in advance.
Re: Storing your record collection [message #83501 is a reply to message #83438] Mon, 05 September 2016 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
A subject with an infinite number of answers - probably mostly good. I store my LPs in MoFi liners, in the jackets with a vinyl outer cover. Then they are on end in closed cabinets. Just enough per shelf to be sure none are slanted. The cabinets are in my stereo room away from heat sources. The temperature and humidity are typical of a house. I have many LPs a lot of which are originals from the 50's and 60s'. So I guess the way they are stored works as they all play fine.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Storing your record collection [message #83517 is a reply to message #83501] Tue, 06 September 2016 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mamoss is currently offline  mamoss
Master
gofar99 wrote on Mon, 05 September 2016 16:38
A subject with an infinite number of answers - probably mostly good. I store my LPs in MoFi liners, in the jackets with a vinyl outer cover. Then they are on end in closed cabinets. Just enough per shelf to be sure none are slanted. The cabinets are in my stereo room away from heat sources. The temperature and humidity are typical of a house. I have many LPs a lot of which are originals from the 50's and 60s'. So I guess the way they are stored works as they all play fine.

This looks like an excellent way to store your records. I always keep mine away from heat sources too and most of my originals are almost in the same condition they were in 20 or 30 years ago.

You definitely have to find a safe way to keep anything audio anyway.
Re: Storing your record collection [message #83768 is a reply to message #83438] Sun, 23 October 2016 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leon is currently offline  Leon
Chancellor
I keep most of my collection of humble size tucked away in a separate room to avoid untoward incidents. Sometimes, though, I do forget to put away some of my favorites after listening to them.
Re: Storing your record collection [message #84487 is a reply to message #83438] Sat, 04 February 2017 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
All of those suggestions from the link in the op make it look like the original packaging of records from 40+ years ago were woefully insufficient. As if any old dust particle could get in through the openings of the cardboard and plastic packaging's.
Re: Storing your record collection [message #84589 is a reply to message #83438] Mon, 13 February 2017 15:40 Go to previous message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
Storage is a concept that's normally challenging to most people so thank you for the link. I regret not knowing how to do this early enough and this led to me misplacing a huge chunk of my music collection.
Previous Topic: The Crosley Cruiser II
Next Topic: Some Audio History
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:50:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout