Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Towers (One ready to try)
Towers [message #70210] Fri, 18 November 2011 13:09 Go to next message
Dpend is currently offline  Dpend
Baron
Well the box is done on one so naturally I had to try it. I was a little worried it would be ho hum. So I am glad to announce that it was a very pleasant trial. The sound is just what I was hoping for. I still have one more to finish so I was comparing it to my old speakers and there is a huge difference. Great value for the price and a bit of work. Still need to pretty them up and will submit a pic when that happens.

Thanks guys for all the help
Especially Wayne and Bill
Re: Towers [message #70211 is a reply to message #70210] Fri, 18 November 2011 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Excellent! Glad they're working out for you.

Re: Towers [message #70225 is a reply to message #70211] Sun, 20 November 2011 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Is there really a break in period for speakers? How long does it take and what will I notice?
Re: Towers [message #70227 is a reply to message #70225] Sun, 20 November 2011 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Some say yes, but I haven't ever noticed a break-in period beyond the very first medium-to-large amplitude cycle. Basically, they're broke in at first use.

There is one exception, but it doesn't apply to you. Some drivers shift fairly significantly from low-power to high-power operation. I mean, all drivers have this shift, but some are more significant than others. I wouldn't call this a break-in, but it does sort of have the same behavior, in that you will notice a difference at low levels than after you twist the get loud knob.

The towers don't exibit this. They're pretty much the same at low-levels as at higher levels, and they don't change after "break-in".

Re: Towers [message #70238 is a reply to message #70227] Mon, 21 November 2011 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Wayne Parham wrote on Sun, 20 November 2011 20:48

The towers don't exibit this. They're pretty much the same at low-levels as at higher levels, and they don't change after "break-in".

I never noticed any difference with my towers.

As a side note, I never finished the cabinets on mine and when we moved a couple years ago they got stored in the garage due to lack of room. This last summer a friend and I were talking about the towers so I pulled them out into the garage and ran a CDP thru my old Carver amp into them....then proceeded to blow him away!!!! Not only was he impressed by the volume level Twisted Evil , but he said they were the best speakers he had ever heard. And these were set up in a garage Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Re: Towers [message #70248 is a reply to message #70227] Tue, 22 November 2011 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Did notice some distortion at high volume level (Jack Johnson). The first time though the wife didn't turn off the loudness button. But the second time it happened to me I also had to adjust the equilizer I think I had to tone down the base. Jacks recorded pretty loud I think. Do you know of any other reason for this.
It is an old Jvc RS 77 reciever from 82 but it's still going.
Re: Towers [message #70249 is a reply to message #70238] Tue, 22 November 2011 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Right on.
My wife commented on how good they sound. Then in the next breath said where are they going. Rolling Eyes Laughing
I keep telling her in our bedroom.
Re: Towers [message #70251 is a reply to message #70248] Tue, 22 November 2011 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's not like these speakers won't distort - any speaker will when pushed hard enough. But I'm pretty sure it's the amp that is distorting. That JVC amp is only capable of 65 watts RMS and it wouldn't take much to hit that, especially when you play around with EQ. Your speaker's limits are above 65 watts, both thermally and mechanically. The thermal limits are much higher, all the way through the passband. Mechanical limits are much higher too from 60Hz up. Mechanical limits dip to about 80 watts at 60Hz, and then again below the Helmholtz frequency, starting around 35Hz and down. But no limits are exceeded at 65 watts anywhere through the whole band, so I think your amp is probably what's causing distortion at higher volume levels. It's probably clipping.

Re: Towers [message #70258 is a reply to message #70251] Tue, 22 November 2011 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I never listen to it that loud for to long anyway What would be a good amp you recommend?
Re: Towers [message #70268 is a reply to message #70258] Wed, 23 November 2011 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There are lots of good amps out there. But I'm not really suggesting that you upgrade your amp. You can if you want, but my point was just that I think you're reaching your amplifier clipping limit before you reach either mechanical or thermal limits of your speakers. There's always a limit, and you simply must stay below it.

Many people on this forum run their speakers with 10 watt (and less) tube amplifiers. Those will, of course, reach their limits at a lower level. They tend to clip gracefully, so you don't notice as strongly. There are others that use 50 watt and 100 watt receivers, home theater processors and other things. Lots of ways to make good sound!

Previous Topic: 6 Pi Crossover Questions
Next Topic: 3 Pi Plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 02:30:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout