Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Master & Commander
Master & Commander [message #6927] Sun, 11 June 2006 00:42 Go to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
I just got it back and watched it with the Valencias as front speakers. The cannon fire was awesome This is the first movie I have seen that closely depicts the life of sailor in those times. They still left out the poor food and some of the less apppealing aspects of it. However for most of them it was a far better life than they faced on land. Now I'll have to check out some more of Patrick O'Brien's books.

I've read all the other authors I can find. Those being C. S. Forster, Dudley Pope and Alexander Kent and the gentleman whose name escapes me who wrote the historical fiction books about naval action during the Crimean War.

I just found the motherlode [message #6928 is a reply to message #6927] Sun, 11 June 2006 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Of nautical authors. I don't know if anyone is interested but in case someone is

Honest this is the last one :) [message #6929 is a reply to message #6928] Sun, 11 June 2006 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master

Re: Master & Commander [message #6931 is a reply to message #6927] Sun, 11 June 2006 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I started reading P. O'Brien years ago. His ability to match the technical details of seafaring in the age of Nelson with good story telling and memorable characters is absolutely the best. I can still re-call facts about shipping and hull construction that amaze even myself; thats how deeply he explained everything. And the medical portion with Maturin? great stuff.

Re: Master & Commander [message #6932 is a reply to message #6927] Mon, 12 June 2006 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I saw that movie in the theater. Sadly, I wasn't all that impressed with their sound system so I'll have to grab a copy on DVD and check it out again.

Re: Master & Commander [message #6933 is a reply to message #6932] Mon, 12 June 2006 20:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
My wife who isn't interested in Naval history thought the movie was boring Me I thought it was a great movie that depicted life onboard fairly accurately for Hollywood

Re: Master & Commander [message #6936 is a reply to message #6932] Mon, 19 June 2006 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mollecon is currently offline  mollecon
Master
Yes, you have to, Wayne! I didn't see it in our fairly good theaters, and that, I found, was a mistake. But it's still great on a good home system, and really nice subwoofer stuff, and general good surround sound. It does help that the story is good, too...

Re: Master & Commander [message #7020 is a reply to message #6927] Sat, 05 August 2006 21:24 Go to previous message
matefork is currently offline  matefork
Viscount
In my PHILIPS VCD Mini HiFi System the movie is awesome. Just hearing the explosions on my high end power speakers just makes the experience more exhilirating.

Previous Topic: Shot through the heart
Next Topic: The Davinci Code; Redux The Shocker
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 05:25:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout