Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Eureka!
Eureka! [message #57480] Sun, 04 December 2005 10:17 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I'm driving my son and some of his friends home from a party Friday night. They have lately been listening to a radio station that plays all rock from the 60's and 70's; very good playlist. They now know lots of the old tunes from Zep and Stones and Beatles..CCR CSNY etc. And it's fun to ride in the car with them because now they ask questions about the music and those times.

Well; the CSNY song OHIO came on. They asked me about it.
Now I don't ever preach and I don't believe in indoctrinating children; that includes politically/religously/morally or anyother Y. I find that if you shut up and let them speak they will make very good arguments and choices. As soon as you preach their ears close.

So they asked and I said well; it's a song about a protest march held in Kent State where the Governor ordered the National Gaurd out to disperse the marchers and while doing that the Guard fired on the protesters and some were killed.

Dead silence. Then the questions came. Were they really killed? Were the protestors fighting with the soldiers? Why did they fire real bullets? I was surprised at the level of attention that song recieved.

I tried to be impartial but that was hard. Why are the kids shielded from these truths? They were genuinely shocked and their interest showed.
Sad that they have no background in the civil rights and peace movements in this country. All they hear is war and how important that is.

Re: Eureka! [message #57481 is a reply to message #57480] Sun, 04 December 2005 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Are they sheilded or are they just getting to an age where they find some of the things that happened in the past interesting?

My kids are pretty focussed on alternative string tunin or what notes make up a diminished scale! a few years ago there was a big focus on pokymon cards and skate boards.

I dont think you have to try and explain things unbiased though. I tell them how I feel and what I think happened but also offer up other opinions of what other people think about the same situation. They make up their own minds and will change their opinion a few times too

Re: Eureka! [message #57482 is a reply to message #57481] Sun, 04 December 2005 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yeah; thats a good way to approach it. I just have a concern that he would adopt my opinion just because it's mine and it's the one he hears most often. While I will say how I feel I try to encourage him to search for other points of view. I see a lot of his friends don't like Bush but you can tell it's mom and dad talking. I want him to decide for himself based on the man's behaviour; so when they start with the anti-Bush rhetoric I ask them why they feel that way and they get stumped. Now they think I support Bush. If they only knew.

So; the boys have inherited some of their old mans musical affinity. Nice. by strings do you mean guitar?
My boy plays sax and clarinet but the band director has been after him to try the Bassoon. Last Tuesday he comes in the door with this case in hand. I ask him what gives and lo and behold; it's a bassoon. The friggin' thing is over 6 feet tall. And it sounds like a 200 lb duck.

Re: Eureka! [message #57483 is a reply to message #57482] Mon, 05 December 2005 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Roger that on the 200 lb duck. I've been graced with the instrument in our house from time to time. The daughter plays piano and then obo for concert band and switches between other instruments too.
The older boy plays Guitar and for school a sax. The younger boy play bass and for school a trombone.
On any given weekend there could be 4-6 kids jamming and recording someting or another. Usually some freakishly old song that we listened too at their age! same as your kids, I dont get it. They all get top grades in school so I give them lots of latitude and support with the music end.

Re: Eureka! [message #57484 is a reply to message #57483] Mon, 05 December 2005 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yep; thats the deal. He gets all the latittude he wants as long as he performs up to snuff. Actually; and don't tell him this, but I always had a problem with authority; yep, thats right. I definately had a problem. So truth be told; I would make a lousy disciplinarian since I never could accept any myself.
On my report card it said; John Who?
That oboe; thats a ticket to the ivy league; no?

Re: Eureka! [message #57485 is a reply to message #57484] Mon, 05 December 2005 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

I think the oboe is the 50 lb duck! I liked the baboon better. little pet names we have here. If it wins ivy league popularity than cout me in. All 3 are talking music schools right now. lots of change to come in a few short years, so one never knows.

Re: Eureka! [message #57486 is a reply to message #57485] Tue, 06 December 2005 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leland Crooks is currently offline  Leland Crooks
Master
I lurk here a lot, usually post on BFM and PI. Got to chime in here. Make sure they apply to private schools. My daughter is a music/history dual major at Loyola Marymount in LA. She's a singer. They gave her a pile of money to come there. Quite a change for a KS girl. She's going there for less than or equal to what I would have paid for in state tuition at KU.

Better warn them, music majors work their butts off. Far harder than the business degree I've got.

Re: Eureka! [message #57487 is a reply to message #57485] Tue, 06 December 2005 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Playing the oboe = way to being popular?! Wow - last time I checked, popular were some piercing-tatoo stoned-looking bisexual guitarists/singers/dancers/posers who worked hard to acting in 70s-80s rock-stars manner...

Re: Eureka! [message #57488 is a reply to message #57486] Tue, 06 December 2005 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yep; no such thing as a free ride. They pay but the kids earn it..every penny. Two a day practices; working all summer and holidays and all this while attending classes. Thats why I love those who droll at the scholorship meetings; they don't realise what they are getting their kids into sometimes.
I am told Bassoon and Oboes are the ticket for scholorship money. The easiest scholorship is academic then use your talents for some cash. The admissions directors love that because the Music or Sports guys don't have to take the money out of their budget.
Is that correct the way you see it?
I got a business degree; I slept through four years.

Re: Eureka! [message #57489 is a reply to message #57485] Tue, 06 December 2005 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You are close to Crain Music School; no? Up in Plattsburgh. Thats a good school.

Previous Topic: Well Uncle Joe...
Next Topic: Calendar for 2006.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 19:06:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout